My Top Ten lists are always changing, but here’s the current list of things I find good for winter weather:
1. Teo Cabanel Alahine. There was never any doubt, was there? This floral amber says, “Madrigal Dinner” to me in the best possible way. It’s golden and happy.
2. Frederic Malle Editions de Parfums Carnal Flower. Carnal Flower is stunning at any time of year, a juicy tuberose-jasmine halo with an florist-case-fresh green top. Cold weather highlights that icy, minty green opening and makes me glad I’m alive.
3. Givenchy Organza Indecence. A cozy woody vanilla scent with an orange-spice angle, it feels like that warm sunny spot on the back of the couch that the cat occupies.
4. Guerlain Shalimar Light. Lemon custard with a drop of jasmine, just the sort of thing to help you weather a blustery chilly night. A comforter fragrance.
5. Tableau de Parfums Miriam. Rich rose-sandalwood decorated with starry aldehydes and a few candied violets scattered about. Feels tender and wistful, yet warm.
6. Serge Lutens La Myrrhe. Pure beauty in a bell jar: the catch-your-breath loveliness of a gold-and-rose sunrise on hills blanketed with snow-sparkles.
7. Parfums de Nicolai Vanille Tonka. Giddy, giggly fun: lime, vanilla, carnations, frankincense and tonka. Wearing it is like walking into Willy Wonka’s Chocolate Room – everything is slightly oversized and brightly colored, but delightfully so.
8. Amouage Memoir Woman. I haven’t even reviewed this thing yet because I don’t understand what I’m smelling in it, but it’s addictively weird and invigorating. Makes me want to suck Memoir-scented cold air into my lungs.
9. Amouage Lyric Woman – Rose-incense-vanilla in a dry, elegant combination instead of the cozy simpering thing that it could have been. Soulful, somehow.
10. Mary Greenwell Plum. Still a lightweight tuberose with a tart fruity top and a delicately modern-chypre base, still basically Me in any weather imaginable.
This list is not notably different from last year’s winter list: tuberose, aldehydes, warm wood-spicies, vanilla, dark rose, floral amber. Then there’s Memoir, which is… well, I don’t know what it is, except amazing.
So what are you enjoying in your weather, whether you have winter now or six months from now, whether you have snow or 60F and rain?